10 reasons to visit San Andres
1. THE MUSIC - this is an obvious one and it is that San Andres is a rhythmic island where life beats to the sound of reggae, ska, dancehall, and much more. From old school icons to the newer generation to that guy who freestyles on the street corner, music is in pretty much everyone's DNA. The melodic energy is felt in every corner of the island - and if you take the time to explore, you'll come across good talent such as jobsaas & royal rudes reggae band who are currently producing some quality tunes!
2. THE FOOD - Whether it's the classic crab soup & rondon, the local stew crab, the staple rice & beans or the addicting fried bred fruit san Andres cuisine is food for the soul. Hearty, comforting and topped off with a generous sprinkle of sunshine, there is something for everyone - whether you are a meat lover, fish eater, vegetarian or vegan. One of my favorite spots happens to be is Miss Celia restaurant, which offers an innovative approach to food “inspired by nature and infused by culture.
3. THE FRUITS - I really had to include a separate section just for the fruits. At the market or straight off the trees, san Andres is truly a tropical Garden of Eden. Soursop, kinep, starfruit, papaya or the beloved mango, there is an endless choice of colourful vitamin loaded gifts of nature.
4. THE PEOPLE - A island can only be great if its people are - and sanandreans will prove to you that they are a wonderful bunch! Uptown or downtown, everyone has been incredible and I can positively say that it is one of the reasons you will keep going back!
5. THE SWAG - There's no denying it, san andres has a natural flair for “being cool”. You see it in the way people dress, the colors they master so well, the art that is produced, the creativity, the music, etc.
6. THE COLORS - the brightly colored homes, san Andres is a kaleidoscope of colors. Even if the sky is grey, life remains intensely hued- literally and figuratively.
7. THE DIVERSITY - For a small island, there is an incredibly fascinating level of diversity- and much of it lives among the mixed heritages, ethnicities, array of beliefs and faiths. The national motto is "we love the Caribbean and the Caribbean loves we" and if you keep your eyes open, you will see it in the faces of each person you meet. I urge you to read up on the island history before visiting- you will have a greater appreciation of the local diversity once there.
8. THE NATURE - Beaches with every shade of sand (white, golden and even black!), aquamarine waters and the spectacularly lush Blue Mountains, there is a precious natural beauty in san andres.
9. SO MANY THINGS TO DO! - Where do I even start? There is something for everyone, every age, every lifestyle. Be it hiking, lounging around, snorkeling, watersports, horseback riding, dancing, history, culture, or partying like there is no tomorrow. there is no excuse, impossible to feel bored in san andres.
10. THE CREOLE - Although you do not always understand every single thing in san andres creole, it is one very cool sounding language. Note that the official language is Spanish and Standard English, however the one you are more likely to hear is creole - originally a form of pidgin which became adapted locally in the 1600s. Read up on some basics before you go, and learn some more once there!
Mit freudnlicher Genehmigung von German Celis Gordon